Medical Coding, Online
Speak the language of success.
The healthcare industry—from doctors’ offices and hospitals to insurance companies and public health organizations—can’t operate without the work of detail-oriented professionals who are trained to accurately translate physical conditions, injuries and diseases, and their subsequent physician examinations, procedures, and treatments into the universal numeric language of coding for insurance billing and reimbursement.
In our Medical Coding program, you’ll study the general rules of physician coding as you prepare to work in patient registration and billing. You’ll learn to read and interpret records and assign correct codes—a skill that employers value.
You’ll learn the universally used CPT–4, ICD–10–CM and HCPCS diagnosis code sets, and you’ll know that everything you learn is guided by an advisory board of medical professionals who know exactly what kinds of skills and experience the healthcare field is looking for today. Plus, you’ll have the convenience of learning online, when and where it’s convenient for you, while maintaining access to your instructors.
- Assign ICD-10-CM numeric/alphanumeric codes for diagnoses as established by the World Health Organization.
- Assign current procedural terminology codes (CPT-4) for professional services.
- Assign HCPCS codes for supplies and drugs.
- Access code sets using industry software.
- Use Electronic Health Record software.
- Utilize physician office software for computer registration and billing.
- Audit code assignments for accuracy.
- Understand anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Interpret medical records.
Employers of PTC Graduates*
Our well-staffed Career Services department is ready to work with you on your job search—just as they have with grads who’ve been hired by providers including:
- Adagio Health
- Aesynt Inc.
- Allegheny Health Network
- American Billing Company
- Apria Health
- Automated Physician Services
- Cigna Insurance
- CorVel Corporation
- Excela Health
- Fenner Corporation
- Fort Cherry Ambulance Services Inc.
- Gastroenterology Associates of Pittsburgh
- Gateway Health Plan
- Healthcare Management Advisors
- Heartland Infusion Therapy
- Heritage Valley Health System
- Kindred Hospital
- Medical Billing Solutions
- McGuire Memorial
- Medical Billing Solutions
- Medical Service Associates
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- Pediatric Alliance
- St. Clair Hospital
- Trinity Health System UPMC
- West Penn Allegheny Health System
*Background check and drug screening may be required prior to employment and/or internship.
- Steps to Career Success 1
- Medical Terminology
- Healthcare Delivery in the Medical Office
- Computerized Practice Management and the EHR
- Foundations of Health Insurance
- Anatomy & Physiology 1
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 1
- Career Development
- Anatomy & Physiology 2
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 2
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 3
- Diseases & Diagnostic Methods
- Advanced Coding 1
- Advanced Coding 2
- National Exam Preparation
As a graduate, you can sit for a national coding exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). PTC may reimburse the cost of the exam if you successfully pass it within six months of graduation.
Medical coding courses may be fully transferable to our Medical Office Administration program.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)
Students apply their education alongside industry professionals in a simulation experience
Over the stretch of two weeks in May, students from three separate Pittsburgh Technical College programs came together with industry professionals to see how their education works in a real-world training simulation.