Associate in Science
Medical Office Administration, Online
Passionate about medicine. Compassionate about people.
Physicians and other healthcare professionals depend on their administrative team for accuracy, compliance and interoffice communications, along with the detailed record keeping, scheduling and billing that keep a medical office or specialty practice running smoothly.
In our focused Medical Office Administration Online program, we’ll help you build the wide range of in-depth skills—in management, customer service, and coding—that you’ll need to coordinate the front-office operation.
You’ll work with experienced instructors, then add even more real-world texture to your learning with an opportunity to do an in-field internship. You can count on our Medical Office Administration Online program to help you become the one who others depend on.
- Schedule in-patient and out-patient admissions and procedures.
- Schedule and coordinate patient visits.
- Monitor third-party reimbursements.
- File insurance claims.
- Use computer technology.
- Communicate effectively on the phone and in person.
- Process accounting, banking and payroll.
- Assign ICD-10-CM numeric/alphanumeric codes for diagnoses as established by the World Health Organization.
- Assign current procedural terminology codes (CPT-4) for professional services.
- Assign HCPCS codes for supplies and drugs.
- Access code sets using industry software.
- Use Electronic Health Record software.
- Utilize physician office software for computer registration and billing.
- Audit code assignments for accuracy.
- Understand anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Interpret medical records.
Employers of PTC Graduates*
Our well-staffed Career Services department is ready to work with on your job search—just as they have with grads who’ve been hired by providers including:
- Aesthetic Plastic Surgery of Pittsburgh
- Allegheny Health Network
- American Billing Company
- Associates in Endocrinology, PC
- Bower Hill Pediatrics
- Cataract & Laser Institute
- First Step Pediatrics
- Gateway Rehabilitation Center
- Hanover Hospital
- Healthcare Management Advisors
- Meadville Medical Center
- Quest Diagnostics
- The Skin Center
- Trinity Health System
- Walgreen’s Health Services
- Wheeling Hospital
- Workwell Inc.
*Background check and drug screening prior may be required prior to employment and/or internship.
- Critical Thinking
- Steps to Career Success Online
- Medical Terminology
- Healthcare Delivery
- Anatomy & Physiology 1
- Computer Applications
- College Mathematics
- Communications in Healthcare
- Anatomy & Physiology 2
- English Composition 1
- Foundations of Health Insurance
- English Composition 2
- Diseases & Diagnostic Methods
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 1
- Effective Speech
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 2
- Diagnostic & Procedural Coding 3
- Steps to Career Success 2
- Computerized Practice Management & Electronic Health Record
- Principles of Practice Management 1
- Advanced Coding 1
- Steps to Career Success 3
- Career Development
- Advanced Coding 2
- Principles of Practice Management 2
- Career Exploration Capstone or Internship
- Medical Seminar
- National Exam Preparation
Once you’ve completed the program, you can sit for a national coding exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). PTC may reimburse the cost of the exam if you successfully pass it within six months of graduation.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)
Real-world insight from real-world experts: Surgical Technologists in the operating rooms at AHN
PTC’s Surgical Technology and Nursing students recently attended an eye-opening event on campus by Allegheny Health Network.