Associate in Science
Put together solutions. And a future.
Our associate degree in HVAC Technology is your chance to master the fundamentals of heating, ventilation, refrigeration, and air conditioning. The learning is practical and hands-on as you install, troubleshoot, and repair heat pumps, high-efficiency and standard furnaces, refrigeration units, and air conditioning units used in residential and commercial facilities. You’ll learn both the theory and mechanics of the equipment.
You’ll gain professional skills in critical thinking, personal finance, and career success. And you’ll put everything you’ve learned to work on the real thing through an internship with one of the local firms we partner with to provide real-world experience. It’s all about preparing you to become the kind of trained professional and problem solver that today’s employers are looking for.
- Install, troubleshoot and repair heat pumps, furnaces, refrigeration units, and air conditioners.
- Operate and maintain residential and commercial equipment.
- Assemble and install pipes, ducts, motors, compressors, electronics control devices, and thermostats.
- Recover, reclaim, and recycle refrigerant using proper techniques
- Calculate heating and cooling loads and determine correct equipment size.
- Braze copper tubing.
- Troubleshoot problems.
Our grads are putting what they’ve learned to work in positions such as:
- Controls technician
- Installation technician
- HVAC technician
- Refrigeration technician
Employers of PTC Graduates*
The Career Services staff at Pittsburgh Technical College will help you make the transition from student to professional. They’ve helped our grads find jobs with area employers including:
- Tudi Mechanical Systems
- JA Sauer
- McCormick’s Heating & Cooling
- Allegheny Refrigeration
*Background check and drug screening may be required prior to employment.
The Associate in Science, HVAC consists of seven quarters. For course descriptions, visit our catalog.
- Supplementary Mathematics
- College Mathematics
- Steps to Career Success 1
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Heating Systems 1
- Welding & Sheet Metal Fabrication
- College Algebra
- Critical Thinking
- Heating Systems II
- Residential Refrigeration
- Principals of Writing
- English Composition 1
- Human Relations in Organizations
- HVAC-R Controls
- English Composition 2
- Steps to Career Success 2
- Commercial Refrigeration
- Load Calculations & Psychometrics
- Effective Speech
- Customer Service & Career Development for HVAC
- Troubleshooting & Diagnostics
- Chiller Systems
- Certification Preparation
You’ll sit for key exams including:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 608
- Industry Competency Exam (ICE)
- Universal R-410A Safety Certification
- North American Technician Excellence (NATE)
PTC will reimburse the cost of the exams that you pass before you graduate.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)
Welding Graduate Receives “40 Under 40” Award
Sean Myers, 2016 PTC Welding graduate, was presented with the “40 Under 40” award recognizing him for his outstanding contributions to the inland marine transportation industry.