About the President
Alicia B. Harvey-Smith, Ph.D.
Dr. Alicia B. Harvey-Smith, has dedicated more than 25 years to higher education in a variety of leadership and administrative roles. Committed to leadership excellence, institutional performance and student success, she is a scholar-practitioner, whose experience in higher education is both diverse and expansive.
Appointed the 4th President/CEO of Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC), a private, non-profit, regionally accredited college on a beautiful 180-acre campus in Oakdale, Pennsylvania, in April 2019, Dr. Harvey-Smith, the first African-American to hold this post, is proud of the College’s history of student success spanning nearly seventy-five years and its consistency in maintaining one of the nation’s highest in-field placement rates of over 95%*. Opening in 1946 as a single-discipline career training institution, Pittsburgh Technical College has grown to ten academic schools with more than thirty degree and certificate programs, including bachelor degrees.
Early in her tenure at PTC, Dr. Harvey-Smith established three key priorities and six strategic directions as a guide for strategic planning and decision making. Her focus is on positioning PTC as a college of first choice for technical and trades education and jobs of the future, becoming a pipeline to middle skills careers, and fueling economic development. She is developing a re-imagined Strategic Enrollment Management Model that includes diversifying alternative revenue generation for improved institutional sustainability and growth. Dr. Harvey-Smith has staked a claim on the future with excellence, innovation, and transformational partnerships with business and industry and a myriad of organizations and institutions.
Office of the President
*Showcases graduates from 2019 classes. Data includes those who were available for work and were offered and/or received career search assistance from 1/1/2019-3/30/2020. Includes full-time, part-time, or freelance positions. Visit ptcollege.edu/employmentstats to learn more.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)
- The Nation Takes A Collective Breath – Pittsburgh Technical College President’s Statement On Social Injustice
- Leading Higher Education’s Emergence Post COVID-19: A Call to Action
- A letter to the Class of 2020
- The Student Above All: An Introduction
- COVID-19 Communications
- Presidential Event Series: African-American Legacy Celebration – Through Music and Literature
- How the Workforce Skills Gap is Placing Increased Focus on Technical Education
- Day of Giving
- State of the College Address 2019
- Reflections For The Strong Families Commission
- Pittsburgh Technical College Reaches Nationally to Address Local Need for Skilled Workforce
- Special Message to Alumni from PTC’s New President
- President’s Priority Statement and Strategic Directions
- Dr. Harvey-Smith Welcomes PTC Students