About the President
Alicia B. Harvey-Smith, Ph.D.
Dr. Alicia B. Harvey-Smith, has dedicated more than 25 years to higher education in a variety of leadership and administrative roles. Committed to leadership excellence, institutional performance and student success, she is a scholar-practitioner, whose experience in higher education is both diverse and expansive.
Appointed the 4th President/CEO of Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC), a private, non-profit, regionally accredited college on a beautiful 180-acre campus in Oakdale, Pennsylvania, in April 2019, Dr. Harvey-Smith, the first African-American to hold this post, is proud of the College’s history of student success spanning nearly seventy-five years and its consistency in maintaining one of the nation’s highest in-field placement rates of over 95%*. Opening in 1946 as a single- discipline career training institution, Pittsburgh Technical College has grown to ten academic schools with more than thirty degree and certificate programs, including bachelor degrees.
Early in her tenure at PTC, Dr. Harvey-Smith provided a vision and strategic direction to the PTC community and defined what it means to be a non-profit college. Her focus is on positioning PTC as a college of first choice for technical and trades education and jobs of the future, becoming a pipeline to middle skills careers, and fueling economic development. She is developing a re-imagined Strategic Enrollment Management Model that includes diversifying alternative revenue generation for improved institutional sustainability and growth. Dr. Harvey-Smith has staked a claim on the future with excellence, innovation, and transformational partnerships with business and industry and a myriad of organizations and institutions.Biography Curriculum Vitae
Office of the President
*Showcases graduates from 2019 classes. Data includes those who were available for work and were offered and/or received career search assistance from 1/1/2019-3/30/2020. Includes full-time, part-time, or freelance positions. Visit ptcollege.edu/employmentstats to learn more.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)
Presidential Events and Communications
- November 20, 2020 – Beyond the Rankings: Regional Colleges’ Impact on Their Communities
- November 19, 2020 – A Video Message with Important January 2021 Quarter Information
- November 2, 2020 – A Special Election Message from the President of Pittsburgh Technical College
- September 16, 2020 – Women of influence: Alicia Harvey-Smith charting a new course for Pittsburgh Technical College
- June 10, 2020 – The Nation Takes A Collective Breath – Pittsburgh Technical College President’s Statement On Social Injustice
- May 27, 2020 – Leading Higher Education’s Emergence Post COVID-19: A Call to Action
- May 5, 2020 – A letter to the Class of 2020
- April 12, 2020 – The Student Above All: An Introduction
- Starting January 29, 2020 COVID-19 Communications
- April 17, 2020 – Update for Parents/Guardians of PTC Students
- February 21, 2020 – Presidential Event Series: African-American Legacy Celebration – Through Music and Literature
- January 28, 2020 – How the Workforce Skills Gap is Placing Increased Focus on Technical Education
- December 3, 2019 – Day of Giving
- September 20, 2019 – State of the College Address 2019
- September 18, 2019 – Reflections For The Strong Families Commission
- September 16, 2019 – Pittsburgh Technical College Reaches Nationally to Address Local Need for Skilled Workforce
- September 10, 2019 – Special Message to Alumni from PTC’s New President
- August 1, 2019 – President’s Priority Statement and Strategic Directions
- April 15, 2019 – Dr. Harvey-Smith Welcomes PTC Students