Associate in Science
Smart Building Technology
Smart buildings are safer, greener, more efficient, more comfortable…and in growing demand by commercial and residential consumers. That growing demand has created a real need for specially trained professionals with the electronics and mechanical skills to make different systems work together within both new and existing homes.
In our Smart Building Technology Program, you’ll learn hands-on the skills to install, program, troubleshoot, and repair the systems that control everything from security cameras and burglar alarms to climate to lighting in homes to surveillance systems and perimeter fences for commercial properties. You’ll combine electronics, networking, security, surveillance, and communication skills as you study everything from structured wiring to project management.
You’ll explore the basics of smart building computers and networks. You’ll learn how to install home security systems, connect centrally controlled networks, integrate TVs, lighting, computers, and security systems.
Connecting systems within homes is a matter of convenience and security for consumers. And having the skills to answer the demand can be a matter of job security for you in a field that’s really only scratching the surface in terms of what’s possible.
- Install lighting, climate control, surveillance and security systems.
- Wire new construction and retrofit existing structures.
- Create monitoring systems.
- Integrate commercial systems.
- Connect centrally controlled networks.
- Troubleshoot security and automation systems.
- Integrate computer networks.
Our Smart Building Technology graduates are putting their skills to work in jobs including:
- Access Control Technician
- Builder Installation Technician
- Installation Technician
- Communication Technician
Employers of PTC Graduates*
Look to our Career Services staff to help connect with you employers—just as they’ve helped our grads who’ve been hired by companies like these:
- Alpha Communications Technologies
- Guardian Protection Services
- Metro Fence
- PSX, Inc.
- Staley Communications
- INTERTECH after name
*Applicants for the Smart Building Technology program must pass a required background check. Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
The Associate in Science, Smart Building Technology, consists of seven quarters. For course descriptions, visit our catalog.
- College Math
- DC Circuits
- Structured Wiring
- Steps for Career Success 1
- Critical Thinking
- AC Circuits
- Low Voltage Cabling
- Introduction to Electrical Drawings
- Steps for Career Success 2
- College Algebra
- English 1
- Semiconductors & Integrated Circuts
- Commercial Audio/Visual Systems
- English 2
- Digital Electronic Systems
- Computers & Network Systems
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- Life Safety Systems
- Effective Speech
- Personal Finance
- Career Development
- Smart Devices
- Project Management
- Certification Prep
- Internship (360 hours)
You’ll prepare for the NCCER Core Curriculum certification. NCCER in an educational foundation created to develop standardized construction and maintenance assessments with portable industry-recognized credentials.
Stories about the interesting events and people in our college community.What's New(s)