Pennsylvania SOAR Program
Students Occupationally and Academically Ready (SOAR) is a program that supports articulation agreements between Career and Technical Education (CTE) and postsecondary programs for the purpose of preparing students for careers in high priority occupations (HPO). Participating CTE graduates can articulate credits for aligned courses to earn a diploma, certificate, or degree in a shorter period and with less student debt.
The Pennsylvania Bureau of Career and Technical Education (BCTE) has compiled a list of programs that meet SOAR requirements. As of January, 2020, PTC has seven programs aligned to eight BCTE Programs of Study (POS).
The mission of SOAR is to prepare students for college and careers in a diverse, high-performing workforce.
- Save money on college tuition
- Save time by not duplicating coursework in college
- Prepare for entering the job market with college and career-ready skills
- Choose the best career path
- Receive a consistent education
Who is Eligible
SOAR is open to graduates who successfully complete a high school CTE program at any PA Career and Technical Education Center, and meet the requirements of a secondary SOAR program.
- Earn a high school diploma, achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale in CTE courses and complete the Secondary School component of the aligned POS.
- Achieve a competent or advanced level on the Secondary School end-of-program assessment that corresponds to the aligned POS
- Achieve proficiency on all of the aligned POS Secondary Competency Task Lists.
- Furnish the necessary documentation to PTC. Documents should verify that the student meets all secondary requirements of the aligned POS.
How to Apply
Qualifying CTE students must submit the following documents to PTC to begin the articulation process.
Completed Secondary Competency Task List Coversheet which includes the following:
- Student’s Name
- Program of Study Name
- Program of Study CIP number
- Instructor’s Signature
- Instructor’s Name
- School Name
- School Mailing Address
- School Telephone Number
- Completed Secondary Competency Task List (see an example task list)
- Completed Perkins Statewide Articulation Agreement Documentation Coversheet
- Official High School Transcript
- Any Earned Industry Certification
SOAR Eligible PTC Programs
PTC’s SOAR eligible programs are listed below. For information about CTE courses that can be articulated to these programs, visit collegetransfer.net.
- Business Administration
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Criminal Justice*
- Culinary Arts
- Electronics Engineering Technology
- HVAC Technology
- Information Technology
- Welding Technology
*Criminal Justice applicants must pass a criminal background check.
For more information, or to submit a completed application, please contact Doug Cerminara, Director of National Recruitment, at Cerminara.Doug@ptcollege.edu or (412) 809-5100.